Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"You Can't Beat the Real Thing"

I'm from the great state of Georgia, and when asked where this recipe originated from, I have to say that I'm not sure where it originated. I just know that it was always a “staple” dessert when I was growing up. It’s probable that I enjoyed it at church potluck suppers; my grandmother’s house; and at University of Georgia football tailgate parties (along with fried chicken, boiled peanuts, country ham biscuits and pimento cheese sandwiches!)”

When asked what makes this recipe southern, I have to respond with.....1. Coca-Cola (which was “born” in Atlanta, Georgia in 1886)..... 2. Pecans (Georgia is the largest producer of pecans in the United States)..... and 3. Buttermilk!

This cake is a delight to make and eat!  This recipe has great flavor and texture, it is straight-forward, and the story that accompanies it (The Coca~Cola Story can be read by going to.....www.thecoca-colacompany.com) is by far the best that there is.  Coca-cola cakes are a southern institution, and this is one of the best I’ve ever had. 

Enjoy :)


COCA~COLA CAKE

CAKE:
2 cups plain flour (unsifted)
2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup Coca-Cola
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 whole eggs beaten
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups mini marshmallows

ICING:
1 stick butter
3 tablespoons cocoa
6 tablespoons Coca-Cola
1 box confectioners powdered sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
t tsp. vanilla

CAKE:
Combine sugar and flour in mixing bowl. Heat butter, coca-cola and cocoa to boiling and pour over flour and sugar mixture, mixing thoroughly. Add buttermilk, eggs, soda, vanilla and marshmallows. Mix well. This will be a thin batter with marshmallows floating on top. Bake in greased and floured 9×13 pan at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Ice while hot.

ICING:
Combine butter, Coca-Cola and heat to boiling. Pour over sugar. After beating, stir in chopped pecans and vanilla. Spread over hot cake.

~Best when served warm with a large scoop of Vanilla Bean ice cream!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment