Friday, November 13, 2009

Clean, Clean, Clean!


Ok, so I promised you that I would share with you some homemade cleaning products.  I just recently started making my own cleaning products for several reasons.  The products that I would buy at the store always seemed to make me sick.  I would clean the house and then within a few hours I would begin to have really bad sinus problems.  I was getting really concerned about why I was so sick all the time.  Then I began to see a pattern of when I was getting sick. It was always right after I would deep clean my house.

The second reason is really simple.  They are more inexpensive than the brands that you buy at the store.  I'm always amazed at how much cleaning supplies cost and for such a small amount.

Lastly, homemade cleaning products are just better for my family all around.  I know what I am using and can actually pronounce the ingredients that are in them.  Yep, it makes me feel smarter and I need all the help I can get!

So here is a list of a few homemade cleaning products that are so simple and easy to make.  HAPPY CLEANING!!!!

ALL PURPOSE CLEANER-
Try water, or a solution of 2 tablespoons mild dishwashing liquid and 2 cups water. Sanitize countertops with white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide; spray the surface with one, then the other, and wipe (keep them in separate, well-marked bottles and do not dilute). For a gentle scrub to use on countertops, sinks, and faucets, make a paste with warm water and baking soda; or boost cleaning power by using dishwashing liquid instead of the water.

FLOOR CLEANER-
Use a damp -- not saturated -- sponge mop to wash with warm water. If your wood floor is really dirty, try a solution of 1/8 cup plant-based liquid soap and 1/8 cup distilled white vinegar to 1 gallon water (some people like to add 10 drops essential oil for fragrance). For ceramic and stone floors, eliminate soap, which leaves a film, and use 1/4 cup vinegar with 1 gallon water.

TOILET BOWL CLEANER-
Add 1/2 cup vinegar to the toilet bowl, let stand a few minutes, brush, and flush. If you have hard water, let the vinegar sit for an hour, and you may have to do some light scrubbing. To remove stains, add 1/2 cup borax to the water, swish it around, and let it soak overnight.

FURNITURE POLISH-
Clean with a barely damp soft rag; polish with olive, almond, or walnut oil. Or experiment with olive oil and white vinegar (or lemon juice) combinations -- more vinegar or lemon juice for cleaning and more oil for polishing.

FABRIC SOFTENER-
Add 1/4 cup to 1 cup white vinegar to the final rinse cycle (never mix vinegar and chlorine bleach). Try 1/4 cup baking soda in the wash cycle to reduce static cling. Removing clothes from the dryer while still slightly damp or line-drying clothes will also reduce static cling.

HOW TO REMOVE SOAP BUILD-UP/SMELLS IN DISHWASHER-
Pour a cup of white distilled vinegar inside the empty machine and running it through a whole cycle. Do monthly.

HOW TO CLEAN YOUR MICROWAVE-
Mix 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar and 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Bring it to a rolling boil inside the microwave. Baked-on food will be loosened, and odors will disappear. Wipe clean.

I hope some of these idea will help you in your cleaning endeavors.  Please, if you have any questions don't hesitate to leave a comment!!!

~For those of you who are WBGL listeners.....Welcome!  I'm sure some of you are interested in my homemade laundry detergent recipe.  You can get to my laundry detergent post by going to the right hand column and looking under Labels.  Look for the "Cleaning" label and that will take you to that post.  Hope you enjoy it!  Again, if you have any questions.....feel free to leave me a comment and I'll get back to ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment