Thursday, September 3, 2009

Homemade Laundry Detergent

If you're like me, you're always trying to do what's best for your family. Sometimes it can be a struggle when you're on a tight budget. Recently I was at our local "Superstore" to buy laundry detergent. As I stopped to pick up a bottle of my favorite detergent I noticed that the price had gone up AGAIN! But, I had to have it so I just shook my head and put the bottle in the cart and then made my way down the aisle to where the fabric softner was located. Again, I picked up a bottle of my favorite fabric softner and the price had gone up on it as well.

Now, two years ago Ryan and I decided that we wanted to save a little money on our water and electric bill so we bought a high efficiency (HE) washer and dryer. Best move that we made. I LOVE my machines and we have really noticed a difference in our water and electric bills. Ok, with that said, I've been paying out the wazzou for laundry detergent because my machines only use HE or low sudsing detergent. Do you know how expensive these detergents are? We go through alot of laundry around here, so I was running to the store almost every week and a half to buy detergent and fabric softner at close to $10 -$15 for detergent and $5 -$7 for softner. Thats ALOT of money when you're on a budget!!!!!

So, about a month ago I was watching one of my favorite TV shows on TLC about a family that has 18 kids. Yeah, you know the one :) Anyway, I decided to check out their website. While I was looking at their site I noticed that they make their own laundry deterget! And they use HE machines!!!!! I was like, WHAT? BACK THAT TRUCK UP!!!! So then I decided to do a little research on my own about making your own laundry detergent. Now, Ryan at this point is shaking his head and was most likely thinking "Whatever".

I found out that it really is so simple to make your own detergent and it's very inexpensive. WAY CHEAPER!!!!!

So to make a long story short.....I made my first batch and I was pretty surprised to find that not only did it clean better than the high dollar brands but it also softened our clothes (I no longer use fabric softener) and made everything even smell fresher than the brand I had been using.

It has been requested by all members of my household that I only use this detergent from now on. We’ve been using it for about a month now and I’m totally won over. Of course, they love it for the smell and feel of our clothes, I love it for how great it works and the fact that it only costs me about eight cents per load of laundry now!

This is only my second batch that I’ve made up. It seemed to last forever so this last time I actually measured out how many loads were in each batch so I could give you an accurate figure. No wonder it lasted forever, I had made enough for 160 loads!

Before I forget, when I do feel the need to use fabric softner I've started using (are you ready for this?) plain ol' white vinegar. Yep! Not only does it soften my clothes (and no, you can't smell the vinegar in the clothes) but it keeps my machines smelling good and keeps the hoses clean and fresh!

Today I’m bringing you the recipe I use. This one is the hands down winner at my house!


You’ll need:

Laundry Soap (Fels Naptha or Zote are the ones I have used. You can also use: Sunlight Bar Soap, Kirk’s Hardwater Castile, or even Ivory)
Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT baking soda)
Borax

Note: You’re not likely to find all of these things in one store. I usually have to make trips to at least two different stores to get them. One store will have the Borax but put it beside a huge box of Baking Soda instead of washing soda and then another will have the soap. Just have fun shopping around for what you like but be sure you remember where you got everything! I am going to show you a recipe for detergent to make about eighty loads worth but I recommend you get four bars of soap and go ahead and make 160 loads worth because there is enough Borax and Washing Soda in one box to do that much. This will give you the absolute best savings!

The only real work involved is grating your soap. I use a cheese grater for this. I really want to use my food processor but I’m worried about hard soap damaging or dulling my blades so cheese grater it is! I get about three cups of soap shavings from each bar. Measurements will vary according to the size of your bar soap and how finely it is ground. We’re grating this kind of fine so it melts easier in the water. If you like, you can run the shavings through the food processor when you are done to make it finer but this works just fine for me.

Measure out your soap grounds in a large mixing bowl. This is where the recipe gets easy. However many cups of soap shavings you have, half that to know the number of cups of Washing Soda and Borax to put in. So for six cups of soap shavings, use three cups of borax and three cups of washing soda! Measure out the washing soda and borax then stir all of that up! You’ll have to stir a bit each time you scoop some out to get a good ratio of soap shavings to powder but that’s no big deal.


I store mine in a glass container with a lid and leave a 1/8th of a cup measuring cup in there to measure it out. Can you believe this only takes two tablespoons per load? Seriously! I put this to the test, too. I’ve figure out that two tablespoons is pretty close to 1/8th of a cup so that is the measurement I use now.

The main difference you will notice between this and store bought detergents is that this detergent doesn’t suds up as commercial ones do. Don’t let that deter you! Once you pull out your first load of clean, fresh smelling, naturally soft and fluffy laundry, that only cost YOU eight cents to clean, you’ll be hooked.

If you decide to try making your own detergent let me know how it works for ya. I know that you'll love it and love the savings! Happy washing :)

Homemade Laundry Detergent

■4 Bars Laundry Soap (to yield 12 cups of soap shavings)
■6 Cups Borax (this is roughly one box)

■6 Cups Washing powders (this is roughly one box)
Grate soap using cheese grater. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Place in sealed container and measure out two tablespoons for each load.

19 comments:

  1. Liking this...I am definitely passing this info along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad to read this! I'll definitely give it a try. Might need a few tips here and there. Ha! I don't feel like we use much detergent at all - and my machine runs constantly - but I use VERY little (also HE). But I know this is cheaper and can't wait to see how it works. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, feel free to ask me anything. If you have any questions email me directly. You can get my email address off of my facebook profile. I'll never go back to commercial detergents again. I'm amazed at how my clothes aren't fading. I found out that there are alot of salts in store brand detergents that make clothes fade. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jana, this is officially my first comment on your blog. :) Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm glad you posted this, since I've been thinking of making my own detergent, too. We use cloth diapers and most of the commercial detergents out there have a lot of additives that make the diapers less absorbant over time. I've read about the advantages of homemade detergent, but didn't know anyone personally who'd tried it. So now you've inspired me to give it a try, too! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Megan!!!! How are things over in the Netherlands? Most importantly how is the baby? I'm so glad that you took a look the blog. I'm still new at this and trying to get back into the swing of it. Sometimes I think that I'm just typing to myself. I'm amazed at how many people really do read my blog!!!

    You definitely need to try the laundry detergent. One thing that I've noticed is how soft my towels are and yet they are very absorbant. Was watching Martha Stewart one day and she said to NEVER use fabric softener on your towels because they will lose their absorbency. So I stopped. Then I noticed how scratchy they were. After I started making my detergent and using vinegar as my fabric softener, my towels are soft and absorbant!!!

    The thing I love most is knowing exactly what I am washing my families clothes in. And I know that everything is pure and natural. Let me know what you think when you start using it.

    Sure do miss you! Y'all need to come home to the states so that I can love on that sweet baby of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, I really want to do this. I came over from Mrs. Troops blog. I don't know either of you, but I like your blogs. I digress, when I watched the duggar show, they were cooking it to melt the soap they had grated. Did you do this, or just leave it all dry? I would much prefer it dry. Less work, and not as hard to store. Please let me know how you did it. You can email me at steeh@sbcglobal.net if you want.

    Thanks so much for sharing this experience. I am desperate for ways to cut back.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, you can add lavender water, lilac water or rose water (or probably some other various essence waters) to make it smell amazing. Adding a little lavender water or rose water to cleaning stuff is a century old trick (also makes your hair smells gorgeous when you wash with it).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where do you find the bar laundry soap & washing powders

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure where you live, but here in the midwest I buy my stuff at Meijer or County Market. My sister, who lives in Tulsa, buys her stuff at Reesers. You'll just have to check around where you live. I do know that you can buy some of the stuff online. You'll have to google what you are looking for. I wish I could be of more help. Not knowing where you live make it hard to say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jana,
    I have definately made this soap before. I got it from Everyday Cheapskate. Just wondering if you have a top load or front load washer. I have the front load washer and I had gotten this really bad smell in my washer. I was and still do, keep the door cracked open to get air. I asked my repair man one day while he was working on something else what he knew about front load washers and the smell. He said he personally hates front loaders, but the smell is caused by powered detergents.

    Now please don't get me wrong, I loved using this detergent for the same reasons you do. Saving money and my clothes smell much better. I know there is a way to make this liquid, I just don't have that info in front of me right this minute. Just wondering tho if you have had this problem with the smell. My repair man said to use a large bottle of apple cider vinegar in the wash cycle once a month and that will take care of it. I've tried it and it took several times of washing with the apple cider but I think I finaly have it out. Thank you so much for re reminding me of this soap. After I grated it, I did use my food processor and it worked fine. I mixed everything up and then ran it back through with the blades in the bottom and made it a finer powder. I found it dissolves much better that way.

    Keep up the good work. Enjoying your site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tammy,

    I too have front loader machines and I love them. I have never had a problem with smells in my washer. Every month on the 1st, I run the clean cycle with bleach and then on the 15th I run a clean cycle with white vinegar. You may want to try that. Also, I use white distilled vinegar as a fabric softner, so I'm sure that also helps to keep my machine and the hoses clean. At the end of the day when I'm finished with my washer, I wipe down the door and the inside with a small towel. You shouldn't have to leave the door open.

    Try those things and let me know if it helps any. For the next few days after you finish with your wash, run a rinse cycle with just the vinegar. Then on the 1st try the bleach.

    So glad that you enjoy the site. Sometimes I just feel like I'm rambling to myself :) Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I make soap from scratch so I may try making a batch of this some time with my leftover "scraps" of soap that I have left. To grate these soaps, I can use a "salad shooter" that I got from a friend. It goes very quickly.

    If you find that you want inexpensive laundry detergent for a high efficiency washer but don't have time to make your own, you can go online to Sears and they have a good one that costs 8 cents per load (and I have a regular top loading washer -- NOT high efficiency). This would be their 26.4 lb. box of Ultra Plus Powder w/ Stain Fighting formula. Online price of $22.99 for 275 washes. And it is in stock in the Champaign store so there isn't any shipping to pay.

    Anyway, I really appreciate the cleaning recipes you have posted because not only are they less expensive & non-allergy provoking, they are also very easy to keep on hand. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well Jana, I've got my first batch of detergent made. I used 4 bars of King's Castile and only ended up with about 8 cups of fine-grated soap, so I didn't get as much as your recipe reflects. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow night! If it weren't 11:38, I'd start a load right now - LOL! Will let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jana, we made our first batch of your laundry detergent. We have a front load HE machine and noticed that when we ran the first load that the detergent did not completely disolve. Is this normal?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I heard about this from WBGL. I also only got about 8 cups of shavings of Fels-Naptha from 4 bars. Are there different bar sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's only one size of the Fels-Naptha soap bars. The size of your grater is going to make a big difference in the amount of shavings. I use a small size grater. The smaller the grater the better your soap will "melt" in the wash. Also, I just recently started using 5 bars of soap instead of the 4. Let me know if the grater size is the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used a cheese grater for the soap and then put that in a food processor. I actually only measured out 6 cups then, I guess because it is ground finer? I also just washed my first load with my new laundry soap and it is in the dryer. I felt a little soap scum on the door of my front load washer, is this normal? I normally use liquid detergent. I didn't notice any distinctive smell on the clothes. . . good or bad :) Maybe I will smell a fresh scent after they are dry. Thanks for your input and help.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used my food processor once. It did seem to make the detergent finer. That must be why it seems like you have less. I use distilled white vinegar as my fabric softner so I've never gotten a scum on the door of my washer. You may want to try that. At the end of the day, I take a clean kitchen towel and dry off the door of my washer. You won't notice a distinctive scent after your clothes are washed. When they come out of the dryer you'll just notice a clean smell. Also, the more you use the detergent the softer your clothes will get over time. It really is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was able to find all of the items at our local County Market (I'm in Mattoon, IL) and we LOVE our new detergent!! It took about an hour to grate the 4 bars of soap (which I got about 7 Cups out of) and have really noticed that our laundry is softer!! We will not go back! I've shared this with everyone!! Thanks again!! ;0)

    ReplyDelete